Monday, May 6, 2013

My Fridge Work Station and a Chevron Tutorial

Can I get a big hip-hip hooray that i'm out of my first trimester and wanting to nest?! I may have cooked one meal over a 6 week period. I couldn't even go to the grocery store, couldn't clean the shower or the toilets, let alone do anything creative. I am so happy to be in my second trimester. I love nesting and i am gradually getting my house ready for transitioning to a bigger family. We are so excited to find out if it's a boy or girl in a few weeks!
I decided I want to have a separate nursery for the baby. I want to make it his or hers. Lucy is about to get into a big girl bed (oh my gaaa!!) and so right now I have a guest bedroom/office that i need to turn into a nursery. First of all, I never use the desk back in the office. it just collects clutter. I decided I wanted and needed a little organization grand central station. There is a little nook by my fridge that was not really being used. So I put the desk there, it's a tad bit longer than the fridge, but only an inch or 2. It will do for now!

So I decided to use the fridge like a wall and decided on cork tiles with magnets on the back. Found these in Pinterest for inspiration:





I love those cute spice tins. That's on the find list! And so the cork tiles. At first I was thinking of covering the tiles in fabric or ribbon. On my way to Michaels I thought to paint chevron!! I've got a whole wall of chevron in my bathroom and I wanted to bring it somewhere else. Plus paint is cheaper than ribbon and fabric! So with my 40% off coupon I spent $8 on a bottle of teal acrylic paint (of course it has to be teal!), a pack of 4 cork tiles and a foam paint brush which worked great on the cork. I already had magnets. The strips are working great!

Okay... Chevron is tricky. Every point has to be a right angle or the whole thing can be thrown off. It took us 2 days to get it right in the bathroom! I tried a few different ways, luckily I had one tile already I could practice.

Here's what you'll need:



I didn't use the tape. I used the L shaped ruler, I'm sure there's a name for it, to make my template. I went 2 1/2 inches down each side. I traced it on a piece of poster board and then began tracing away. i used a pen and i like how the chevron has a subtle border.



You can work up or across. Then start painting!





I wanted to originally paint chevron on just 2 and then a different pattern on the other 2...but I loved the chevron so much that I painted all of them! Then I wanted to make sure they matched so I lined then up to trace the next!



Then for the bottom, I lined them up vertically.



Ta-Daaaaaa!!!!!!



I'm not quite finished but it definitely looks a lot more like a little work station! And a great place to plan my next project! I LOVE IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment